4.12.2009

Springtime in the garden

Although it rained a bit last week and was kinda cold, it has been a beautiful spring weekend. Yesterday was spent finishing up the summer plantings and making progress in the ongoing weed battle.

IMG_0160


On a whim, I spent the morning checking out the Long Beach City College Horticultural Club Annual Plant Sale. First of all, I had no idea our City college had such a wonderful horticultural program. They have their own special area tucked away on the campus which they use for growing plants and teaching.

IMG_0155


In addition to hundreds of lovely ornamentals, they had a nice selection of tomatoes, peppers and herbs. I picked up a San Marzano and a Brandywine tomato plant, as well as a pepporccini and a ancho gigante pepper plant.

IMG_0149


Since my garden basil is still very small and I am so impatient for fresh basil, I picked up one of their very lovely starter plants. Of course I had to get that thing planted immediately!

DSC_0003


And since Husband came along for the trip, he picked up a very healthy looking rosebush for his rose garden.

IMG_0162

Once we were stocked up with plants, we headed home for some good food.


IMG_7557

IMG_7575

IMG_7596

No comments: