4.07.2009

Prettying up

Now that the tax refund has come in and the weather is warming up, we have been thinking a lot about doing some home improvements. One of the first areas we want to do some work is to the exterior of the house.

house

Our little pink casa fiesta, as she now sits.

When we lived in west LA, I often marveled at how contemporary and cool all the homes by the beach were. I'm not talking about the multi-bazillion dollar ocean-view homes; I'm referring to the simple square-box, post-war tract homes that were scattered throughout Venice, Mar Vista and Santa Monica. It was totally inspiring to see how Angelinos could reinvent entire neighborhoods of ticky-tacky little boxes into very cool modern residences. It is amazing how cosmetic improvements, such as replacing windows and doors, landscaping and a new paint job can truly make a difference. One night while making a shortcut through one neighborhood, I came across this house:

IMG_0515

I made Husband come back a few days later so I could take some photographs. I loved the water-conscious landscaping, horizontal slatted wood fence and the concrete patio they added to the front. The cool grey-blue exterior paint also added to the overall look of the home.

IMG_0524

While explaining my discovery to a co-worker, she recommended that I take a look at the homes in her Santa Monica neighborhood, as they all featured similar designs and some very cool xeriscaped front yards. Not surprisingly, I was totally inspired. We spent an entire Sunday afternoon driving around photographing homes.

061308_rows

IMG_0542

We found some more really cool wood fences.

IMG_0573


IMG_0575

And amazing water-friendly landscapes.

IMG_0556


IMG_0560

I love this pergola on the front patio.

IMG_0547

I definitely think we can do some of these things to our place.

And just when I thought I couldn't be more inspired- I came across this over the weekend, via Beyond the Lawn.







Check out their website- I am totally going to this!!!

No comments: