1.17.2009

Seeds

January is seed starting time in Southern California. I placed my orders last month and received my seeds last week. I placed most of my seed order with Baker Creek. The rest was with Seed Savers Exchange. However, I just received Johnny's Seed catalogue and I think I am  also going to place an order with them. They have a lot of things that I really want to grow, such as white sage and onion sprouts. The white sage is one of my favorite things to collect when I go hiking in the So. Cal mountains. Most commonly it is used by Native Americans for religious purposes, but it makes a wonderful tea and has amazing medicinal properties. The onion sprouts are just so damn tasty. I find myself craving them all the time. The sprout seller at the farmers market sells onion sprouts for $1 an ounce. That is crazy expensive- I am totally going to grow them myself.  

IMG_6369
Ok, so back to seeds- today I started seeds for tomatoes and peppers. I used a combination of peat pots, plastic containers and peat discs for planting, figuring I can see which method gets the best results.

IMG_6371

I planted the following tomato seeds:
Paul Robeson
Tennessee Green 
Reisentraube 
German Red Strawberry
Red Zebra 
Yellow Stuffer 

IMG_6372
And these varieties of peppers:

Hot:
Early Jalapeno
Tam Jalapeno
Anaheim
Caribbean Red Habanero 
Ancho Gigantea 
Serrano Tampequino 

Sweet: 
Golden Cal Wonder
Wisconsin Lakes
Napoleon Sweet
Italian Pepperoncini 
Quadrato D'Asti Rosso 

Now I can't wait to watch which ones are going to come in first!  I better check in on my worms and see if I have enough humus to start making a tea for my little seedlings. 

No comments: