5.01.2009

The plot thickens

My summer garden is just about fully planted now. I am pretty sure with 9 tomato plants, I am just about pushing my limit at the community plot. I have basil (from seed) interplanted between the tomato plants and I also planted some zinnia and sunflower seeds along the edges of the outer beds. I also directly sowed some pumpkin, lettuce, beet and carrot seeds. Someone told me that Long Beach gets too hot in the summer to grow carrots, but all my garden books are telling me to go for it, so I am.

Zukes and peppers are starting to do their thing:

IMG_7760

IMG_7753

I planted a tomatillo plant, and it is doing really well. I am sure I have probably eaten one in salsa before, but I am still somewhat mystified by this tomato cousin. It will be interesting to see what this plant yields.

IMG_7751

I keep pulling beautiful large carrots out from the patch. I still can't get over the fact that a fresh-pulled carrot smells so fragrant. They have an almost perfume quality to them! I have to say, so far all my purchases from Baker Creek Seeds have brought the biggest payoff. The rocky top lettuce blend has performed very well, and it is a lovely salad blend. The carrots are the chantenay red core and tonda di parigi heirloom varieties. And the herbs! they are just beautiful. The cilantro is out of control. I am collecting new recipes this week. How does cucumber and cilantro salad sound?

IMG_7755

Yes, this basil smells as good as it looks. I have to keep slapping my own hands to stop from picking it while it is still small:

IMG_7767

I can't wait to start having tomato basil salads!!!

1 comment:

Maddie said...

I love tomatillos! My mother planted them in her garden last year and they were DELICIOUS. They were so sweet and yummy I even started eating them as snacks, like apples. A little weird but they were the bomb.