3.21.2009

Catching up

This month has passed me by with no chance to lift my head up from what I have been doing. The job change has left me unusually tired with little energy at the end of night. This past week I have rebounded a bit and used that extra fuel to get some things in order for spring. Last weekend was full of activities, including the preparation of two delicious meals. Saturday night I made this recipe for roast chicken, which was very good. I didn't have the cast iron pan that the original recipe called for, so I just used a roaster.

IMG_7228

I realize in retrospect that the cast iron would have made this dish perfect, as my bread pieces were a bit harder that they should have been. The chicken however, was perfect as was the fresh steamed broccoli from the garden.

IMG_7251

We also ate some of the swiss chard from the garden.

IMG_7243

I cut the leaves up, and sauteed them with some garlic and butter, and tossed them with lemon zest.

IMG_7246

They were ok- Husband didnt care for them at all. They had a sharp, bitter taste to them. I wonder if the leaves were too large, and maybe I should have picked them sooner. I have never eaten swiss chard before so I'll give it another try before I give up on it completely. It was still a good meal, all in all.

IMG_7254

Sunday was meat night. Husband suggested a steak, with twice-baked potatoes. Since I have never attempted a twice-baked spud, I accepted the challenge. Husband grilled the steaks, this time only rubbing a little salt, pepper and oilve oil onto the meat beforehand. Meanwhile, I made a compound butter for the steaks, with fresh chives and thyme.

IMG_7266

The potatoes were were rubbed with olive oil and placed onto the oven rack for a little over an hour. Once baked, the tops were sliced off and the guts were mashed into a bowl with some sourcream, butter, carmelized onions, grated cheddar and chives. Potato mix was thrown back into the potato skin and baked for another 30 minutes.

IMG_7277

Once out of the oven, a ridiculous amount of toppings were added to the potatoes, including bacon bits, cheese, chives and red onions.

IMG_7270

Some more fresh gown broccoli was cooked, to ensure that we had something green on our plates!

IMG_7281

Both were fantastic meals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fancy!