12.24.2008

Handmade holidays

IMG_6694

This year's recession-slash-general doom and gloom that everyone thinks is going to stay through 2009, prompted the husband and I to opt out of the gift giving part of this holiday season. While neither one of us (that we know of) is heading towards job loss or anything concerning, but we just decided that with the purchase of a house, a wedding and a lot in between, that is seemed totally unnecessary to go out and buy each other a bunch of crap.

IMG_0595

It made things easier and a hell of a lot less stressful. We had a great thanksgiving dinner, followed by a relaxing day hanging out at home (no malls!). Tomorrow, we will have a nice Christmas dinner and spend the evening relaxing around a fire and most likely watching a classic holiday flick. This whole financial malaise has really got me thinking about consumerism, our excesses, the loss of personal-ness in everything we seem to care for. And it really motivated me to decide that from now on, I am really going to try and only give out homemade gifts. Yeah, it's easy to say now because I don't have to think about christmas again for 11 months, but I'm really going to try. Not only for the holidays, but for birthdays, house warmings, anniversaries, etc...

Just looking around the internet I have already compiled a list of possible gifts that can be easily made at home. Of course, knitting gifts will always top that list, but I have some other hand-made gift ideas too...

A succulent arranged in a pretty pot;

Something yummy, like madelines, spiced nuts or fancy cookies in a chinese take-out box;

Bath salts in a pretty jar;

The possibilities are endless, if you are a crafting junkie like myself! I better start planning now...

No comments: