12.23.2009

Coq au vin

mushrooms and thyme

My cooking obsession has progressed to the point where I now cook things I cannot pronounce.

Browning bacon

I think it shows I'm no longer intimidated by recipes with long ingredient lists or multiple hours of prep time. I knew this recipe is called "chicken in red wine" and that is considered a classic, popular French dish. However, I wasn't sure how it was pronounced as I took Spanish in school, and cannot "parle vu francais."

DSC_0034
Fortunately speaking the language isnt a requirement for making the dish, and though I bastardized the recipe name all evening while it was prepared, it turned out quite nice.

DSC_0037

It's quite a time muncher this dish. The chicken is easy enough to get cooking- and the le cruset dutch oven was a dream to cook with. But getting the red wine/stock broth to reduce took a bit longer than expected. Adding the mushrooms reduced the broth quite a bit.

mushrooms in the sauce

I made some green peas, cooked in bacon fat, and some roasted fingerling potatoes smothered in garlic butter as side dishes. Husband was a bit concerned about the purple-ness of the chicken, but it was quite delicious.

DSC_0051

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM! You're cooking for me next time I'm out!!!