11.28.2008

Community Garden

About 6 months ago I signed up for the waiting list to get a plot at our local community garden. At the time, the woman told me that I probably wouldn't have to wait too long, and they'd call me when a plot opened up. I completely forgot about it and began planting some late summer crops in my backyard. Last month, they finally called me and let me know that a plot was available.

IMG_6167

016

After attending a class to learn about the history of the garden and the rules, I was given my plot. I was absolutely amazed at how large the plots are. Each plot is a generous 15' by 25'. The arrangement varies with how the plot was previously arranged; mine is organized into eight sections framed by wood borders, and surrounded by dirt paths.

027

After walking around the garden to see how and what other people were planting, I decided plant some starter plants from the nursery. I started with spinach, lettuce and onions. I also spoke with my garden neighbors who provided me with a wealth of useful information about the gardens, and how to achieve a successful harvest. In addition to the usual pests, there are squirrels, rabbits and rats who love to munch on young seedlings.

011

While some gardeners have remedied this problem by building fences around their plots, I decided to go with the craft netting covers also commonly used at the gardens. The netting is covered around metal hoops that cover each section of the garden. I like the netting method, because it offers an added layer of protection against pests, and can be moved based on the arrangement of the garden. The netting can be purchased at a fabric or craft store, the metal wire framing came from home depot- it is kind of hard to find. I is technically called "masonry ladder" and you'll find it in the construction aisles, at the very back of the store. The construction sales people should be able to help you find it. 

IMG_5962
I didn't do much to the soil before I started planting. I was told that the person who had previously worked my garden plot kept it in fairly decent shape. The only soil amendments I put in the ground were equal parts of sodium sulfate and gypsum. There was already plenty of manure in the soil, so I just mixed everything into the ground and used a hand tiller to break up the dirt. It seemed to be enough, as I have had no problems with the starters I have planted. 

012

I can't wait to see everything grow! 

No comments: